Thursday, 13 January 2011

013/365–A Pear, A Flower, Some Berries and Off-Camera Flash

Since yesterday was high-key (which I just so love doing) I thought today I would get out my flash and accessories and try my hand at a bit of off-camera flash and low-key photography. Used my flash just as it is and then I used it with an shoot-through umbrella. Before I get into the settings etc let me show you my official 013 for my 365.

013 Pear

Flash off camera with a shoot through umbrella flash output set to 1/6.4

Now for some settings. For all images. ISO 200 Shutter Speed 200 Aperture f8 Lens 28mm. I used my D90 on board flash to fire off my SB600 wirelessly. Some cameras can do this some cannot check your manual to see if yours can. I then varied the flash output to different settings until I got the result I was after.

Here is one other shot of the pear:

013 Pear 2

Flash Off Camera No Umbrella Flash Output 1/13

Out of those two shots I do prefer the one where the umbrella was used.

Here are a couple more shots I got today:

013 Flower1

Flash Off Camera No Umbrella Flash Output 1/13

013 flower2

Flash off camera with a shoot through umbrella flash output set to 1/8

I highly recommend the Strobist blog. The is where I first read about off camera flash. Though that was sometime ago.

Now two shots of my setup. Nothing fancy and do ignore the messy bits. LOL Oh and the clock on the wall is way wrong on time.

No Umbrella Setup 

Flash sitting on a tin on the table firing toward the white panels to bounce a bit of light onto the right side of pear.

Umbrella Setup

Flash on light stand with umbrella. Unfortunately this shot was no good, the flower was not in focus. By this time I was getting tired.

If I have confused you or lost you along the way sorry for that. I am not good at explaining things, just doing. Until tomorrow.